Blackfish, also called Tautog by Native Americans in the New York area, is one of the best fish for new and experienced fisherman alike. Challenging and rewarding, fishing for blackfish on a fishing boat in NYC guarantees an exciting trip.
Marilyn Jean Fishing offers daily blackfishing tours available to book online and private blackfishing charters in NYC during the season. With full day, half day, weekday, weeknight and weekend trips available, we take your group to some of the area’s best fishing locations and provide all the equipment and lessons you need for a rewarding, and relaxing, day at sea. If you’d like to hop aboard any of our blackfishing trips, visit our scheduling page to reserve your ticket. If you’d like to learn more about our private charters, contact us at (646) 413-1643 for availability and a quote for your excursion.
About Blackfish Fishing on the Atlantic Coast
Blackfish are considered a sport fish. Living around 20’ to 50’ deep, they require the right bait and presentation to tempt a blackfish to bite. Reeling them in is the next challenge as this fish is notorious for tearing the line and making off with bait. With blackfish weighing anywhere from a few pounds to more than 20 pounds, you will need to stay alert to successfully reel in your catch.
The best times for blackfish are in the spring and fall when these fish are plentiful in areas like Rockaway Beach, New York Harbor, and the New Jersey Coast, although we have a variety of other fishing experiences available for year round.
Our NYC Blackfish Fishing Boats and Charters
Marilyn Jean creates NYC blackfish fishing experiences designed around you and your party. We have many trips available, including morning and night. We also allow scheduling private charters. Each trip departs from Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn to take you to the places we know that blackfish are biting.
You are welcome to bring all of your own gear if you like, but we make sure that to have all the gear you need right on our ships. This makes it simple to fish if you are new to the sport or are traveling from out of town. On a blackfish charter, we have everything you need to specifically hook blackfish, including:
- Rods and Tackle
- Buckets, Coolers, and More
The cost of our blackfish boat excursions also includes fish cleaning and lessons so that your entire party can reel in blackfish, even if this is their first time fishing.
For those that are enjoying their own private charter, we offer, an additional cost, a delicious catering package for your time out at sea, or you can bring your own food, including alcohol if you prefer.
Why Choose the Marilyn Jean for Tautog Fishing in New York City
A day of fishing with one of our daily fishing charters is one of the best ways to enjoy the water around NYC. You get an enjoyable day at sea, delicious fish to take home, and a chance to see the many sights of NYC from the water. We take walk ons, but we recommend you book using our online scheduling software, where you can book your blackfish boating experience aboard the Marilyn Jean IV, Marilyn Jean V, or another of our boats. You can also contact us for your own private blackfish charter. No matter how you choose to schedule with us, you can expect to receive.
- All Equipment – We have all the equipment you need right on our boats, so all you need to do is come with a smile, ready to fish for blackish near New York City.
- Expert Team – Our captain and the rest of the team are experienced fishermen. We can provide guidance throughout your trip, from cruising to the best locations to training your party in the right techniques for hooking blackish.
- Up-to-Date Fishing Knowledge – We run tautog fishing trips nearly every day and have first hand knowledge of where the hottest locations are on the day of your trip. We can anchor in locations where blackfish are numerous and move throughout the trip if we are not getting enough bites
- Powerful Boats – Each of our crafts uses powerful twin diesel engines to provide the speed to get you to your destination quickly and a smooth ride. This means more time for fishing and a more comfortable trip. Climate control, deck lighting, clean restrooms, and more also increase your comfort on our US Coast Guard inspected boats.
All of these factors combine to make fishing for blackfish on the Marilyn Jean a one-of-a-king experience. If you’d like to book a blackfishing excursion – or any one of our NYC fishing boat experiences, click here to see our entire calendar.